Monday, August 21, 2006

day 7: doomsday tomorrow??

i got shocked for the first time today since my trip to israel in the winter of 2001. symbol or stupidity? I'll let you decide.

I just finished writing a really long post when my internet suddenly quit on me. So instead of typing it all out again I will give you the synopsis:
1. I am still getting used to being here. Small things like getting replacement keys and cellphone (which were stolen on night three) in Hebrew. Medium things like getting more situated, budgeting time and money. And BIG things like where am I in my Judaism and what my lifestyle is going to look like this year.

2. I spent last Shabbat in Neve Daniel, a Yishuv (settlement) in Gush Etzion with my friend Bridgette, her husband Jon and their two kids Boaz and Moriah. Bumped into another former Harovah alum on the way there and compared 'what have you been up to' stories. Me: UMD, Seattle and lots of travelling in between. Her: Married, divorced, almost finished with school, aliyah. Also got to see Darren and Sarah Schneider and meet their new baby girl. Their new to the community and their kids are about the same age as Bridgette and Jon's so maybe I may have even made a shidduch there--everyone can use a new friend!

3. Went to the HUC Beit Cafe tzedakah open mic night light night with the roomates. Sarah Tasman was both a performer and a jewelry saleswoman (see photos below!). The event raised over 4000NIS for families in the north and was coordinated by the students. Jessy Gross and Helaine Hasmall were both there, both of whom I have not gotten to see much of since our Maryland days.

4. Although no one has really been talking about it I am a wee bit nervous about the lurking 22nd of August. I guess I will just have to hang tight and see what happens.

5. See photos of the apartment below. Includes my bedroom--which has two doors and connects to the mirpeset (porch/balcony); our common area; our dining room (don't mind the paper mache' mexico); and the kitchen. Bathroom looks like your typical bathroom and my roomates are taking naps so I thought best to not distrub them.









1 comment:

  1. Excellent apartment. I'm also in Jerusalem (since I live here now) not too far from you.

    ReplyDelete