Monday, May 14, 2007

The Unexpected

"It never rains in Israel past Passover", He said. "Not since I can remember".


Well, he was wrong. To everyones surprise I has been raining here quite a bit. Including a thunderstorm today. I have actually found it to be quite refreshing. The end of the Pardes year is looming. I have had to say goodbye to both my roomates, and I am still trying to figure out where I will be come late August.

This year has been wonderful. I have grown so much, learned a ton, and have made lifelong friends. It is hard to believe that May is almost over and 10 months have flown by so quickly.

I am still crazy as ever, but having so much on my plate has given me some distraction from the emotional goodbyes. I leave for a 3 day trip with my fellow Nesiya staff tomorrow morning. We are leaving bright and early for Mitzpe Ramon (Ramon Crater) where we will camp overnight and then spend Shabbat in the Negev (desert). By the end of the weekend the senior staff will have decided how to place us in teams for the summer. For me this is the most exciting part. There are 12 of us, 4 staff (2 Americans and 2 Israelis) per bus. Everyone is great, but it will be nice to have a smaller group to start planning and really investing.

I am also looking forward to getting out of Jerusalem. I have been doing a little better in this department-but not by much. A couple of weekends ago I was up in a Druze Village near Acco called Pekiin. It is well known for its co-existence between Jews, Christians, and Muslims. It is also the only place that has constantly been inhabited by Jews (with a brief lapse in the late 1930-1940s for fear of rioting from nearby Arab villages) since the destruction of the Second Temple. I have also made it out to Tel Aviv for some recreation and Hebron for some education. I hope to share more about my experience in Hebron at a later date, but I'm still processing it all.

It is Yom Yerushalyim today marking the 40th anniversary of the Six Day War. It was during the war that Israel defended itself against the Egyptian, Syrian, Lebonese and Jordanian armies. It also unified Jerusalem and were able to take control over the Jewish quarter of the old city and the Kotel (Western Wall). Doing so gave access to Holy sites previously forbidden to Jews. Last night I got caught in the parade (literally) dodging tractors, agricultural floats, and dancing children to make it to my volunteering shift.

I know I haven't written in ages, apologies have almost become standard in my posts. But I hope whomever is reading that life is treating you well and I look forward to hearing all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment