Friday, April 20, 2007

Colored Skies

I arrived back in Israel Monday afternoon. A painless flight and sherut ride later, I found myself back at 4 Mendele. When I walked into my apartment I got kinda an eerie sensation. The kind you would get when your finals stretched til the last possible day but that more than half then dorm had already cleared out. Although we are all still here, it is only for a few more short weeks. Both Sarahs will be gone by mid-May.

That feeling has continued through the rest of my week. Pardes students have begun to drop off and before I know it my life here will be changing.

On Tuesday we had orange skies. Sands from the desert blown North by the strong winds created somewhat of a textured rain. Not wet, but hazy. In fact, haziness was quite appropriate for our general moods as well. Hearing of the shootings at Virginia Tech and all the victims...I heard the news the night before at my friend Jessy's birthday dinner. Her sister, a Virginia Tech student, called in hysterics. Luckily, She and her friends are okay. My thoughts go out to those who were less fortunate.

The warm weather I was hoping for (after snow and floods on the East Coast) has not quite arrived. But the longer days allow me to once again walk home in the sunshine, even at 7pm.

I went out on the streets last night with Crossroads, and it was a really interesting experience. Unfortunately, due to confidentiality I can't share too much. But I look forward to continuing my work with them.

Today the skies are blue and clouds fluffy white. The wind has somewhat tamed itself and warmer weather is expected for the weekend. I was at brunch with a friend when we saw four fighter jets stream across the sky. I think the image made everyone around us pause. It could be they were practicing for the upcoming Memorial Day this Sunday night and Monday, I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment